Sunday, January 20, 2013

January 1, 2013

Good morning and Happy New Years!

Good job on your talk mom! I think I must get my crying genes from you. What 2012 "Predictions" are you talking about? I don't remember... You can open it if you want I suppose!

This week has been fun. I have to confess something pretty bad though. I went on exchanges with an Elder Jones (related to Zchone Jones BTW) and he is a Spanish speaking missionary. There was nothing wrong with that, the problem began when we were teaching this man named Felipe and I felt so much charity for him even though I could only understand about half of what he was saying. I realized that I have so much more charity for people from other countries (ex. Mexico, Mongolia or Japan) than I do for people from America (like me). I really need to forsake that and see all people as God sees them. I am going to study Charity in Preach My Gospel this week and hopefully love white people more. 

I love being a missionary and serving here in Oceanside! Not much is new sooooooooooo
CrazyRadar time!:

Speedo: We knocked on the door of a woman who the bishop wanted us to visit, but it turns out she had moved a while ago. A man answered the door in a shirt and apparently nothing else. He taught us the gospel of Jesus Christ and told us about how this life only matters on how you help other people and be a good person and then he told us he doesn't care where we go after we die and that there is no God. I wish he would have softened his heart and listened to our message, but the blood flow needed to soften his heart was constricted by his 3-sizes too small speedo!

Scrooges [We ran into a couple varieties of these]:
- man walking his dog, we told asked him how his Christmas was and he looked at his dog and walked by, and then we asked if we could help him at all or if he knew anyone who could use a message of hope in their lives. He stopped and looked at us and said, "you can just keep walking boys! That is what would help me!"
- woman getting mail, we asked her if she got anything good that day (side-note: that is a bad question to begin with.) but she said nothing, just peered at us over her glasses. We decided for some reason to ask if she celebrates Christmas and she said "no" so we said, oh, okay, what do you celebrate? (another bad question) and she said "Solstice" and then we asked her what solstice was (worst question of all) and she huffed and stomped away. 

No love for Jesus!

Those are some of the fun happenings of missionary work. I am grateful to be here spreading the joy of Christ's love and His gospel. It has been restored to the earth. I am still awkward at asking people questions when they are walking their dogs and at their mailboxes, but all I really know is that this message is true and provides each of us a way to return again to live with our Father in heaven. Every person on this world has said 'yes' to the gospel once before (before they came to this earth) so they all know that it is true. I love Jesus, and I want to help everyone else remember that they do too!

-Elder Chandler

PS Oh I just want to clarify a couple things on the CrazyRadar (can you put this on the blog?)
The speedo guy basically taught us the principles of the gospel of Jesus Christ, he just didn't realize it.
Also when we contacted the Solstice Scrooge, I was on exchanges with an assistant to the President, so even those missionaries aren't perfect! 

PPPPS. Sorry, one last thought. It would be WAY more effective to send out 35-40 year old men and women to be missionaries, but the Lord trusts His youth and us young, inexperienced and immature servants to do His work so that each of us can become converted to His gospel. It sets the foundation for the rest of our lives and spreads the message that literally anyone can come to know Christ, even selfish, prideful 18-22 year olds. Anyways, I think that God has a great plan and I am glad I know about it and glad I am part of it (This should probably be on the blog too, so that people can see why God sends out such a seemingly ridiculous demographic as His force and army to spread His gospel :)

No comments:

Post a Comment