Tuesday, May 29, 2012

May 29, 2012


Dear mom,
 
I was wondering what in the world all of you people were doing in Utah again! Thanks for answering before I even asked. I am feeling much better, just a sore throat every morning, but then it gets better throughout the day. The post-nasal drip is not hindering my study in any way. Elder Collins and I enjoyed our fruit, it got to us promptly on Saturday, thank you! By the way I really enjoyed the pictures you sent last week especially the flowers, I am glad you were so thoughtful to include them.
I understand why you sent the fruit now. My companions thought that you perhaps thought I was not being properly nourished and therefore needed some healthy, low-fat calories when, in fact, I have ample opportunity to sample lots of fruit and vegibles at meal times. I am preparing for hibernation, so I have been choosing to stock up on as much fat and grease as I can. It is probably a good thing that I cannot send pictures right now because you might not even recognize me; I have gained 35 pounds. If you are going to put that on the blog, then I need to add this caveot: I am distinctly aware that this, from an outsider's perspective seems both dangerous and absurd and perhaps a tad irresponsible or childish. I have, however, premeditated this process as well as prepared a plan with the end in mind. By gaining this layer of warm blubber around my entire body I am creating a safety net for the possible events of worms, harsh winter and mission-wide fasts. Also if I reach my gol of 5 more pounds and weigh 200 lbs, then I will have a lot of weight that I can turn directly into muscle. I have begun the physical conversion process here at the MTC in addition to my continued spiritual conversion. If I have a heavy body when I get home then it will be like training in a fat suit so that my legs will be able to carry my skinny body more powerfully when cross-country comes around again. Did I mention that this is the only time in my life I am planning on doing this? So don't worry.
 
The Mongolian is going super well.
 
This week was fantastic and it is hard to remember all of the experiences I had. Last Tuesday Elder Rasband of the presidency of the 70 spoke to us and was really quite inspirational. He talked about controlling our thoughts and actions and gave us ways to do so and promised blessings. I took a lot from that and have been stiving to apply it in my life as I more fully do what I know is right and come unto Christ as I am going to ask my investigators to also do. The week went by really quickly! We have not heard any news on our visas, so I am nervous, but I haven't heard anything bad either. Everything is settled with the law, mom, or do I need to do anything else?
 
We did have one difficult spot this week, an elder in our zone lost his mother on friday night and he is doing alright, but struggling. Then the next day another elder lost his grandmother and that was an equally tough blow. It is incredible to me to see the gospel instantly become so real amidst the trials of this mortal life. The restored gospel of Jesus Christ brings hope and salvation to the souls of all those who have faith. I admire my two friends for staying here to serve the Lord and I know he will strengthen them as they trust him. I have thought somewhat concerning the matter of faith as I pondered what these two elders are going through. I have been thinking a lot specifically on faith this week even before these tragic events occured. As I prepared my lesson on baptism for priesthood meeting I applied faith to every aspect of the Gospel and it seems to me that faith is the fuel and motor that runs our engines. Faith leads to repentance and the first fruits of repentance is baptism. Once we have partaken in this saving ordinance and made a covenant with God to keep his commandments and be representatives of Christ then we must still have faith that Heavenly Father will fulfill His end of the promise and guide us throught the Holy Ghost. The Holy Ghost can witness unto us truth and offer guidance to our hearts and minds so that we may know what we must do. I am so grateful for this knowledge and for Joseph Smith for restoring the complete authority of God to the earth again, so that we can enter into eternal covenants with God. I am also grateful for the faith that the elders showed who lost loved ones by perservering and believing that there is a plan. I know that God has a plan for each and everyone of us, even if His reasons do not seem logical or apparent at the time. My time is up, but I want to tell you that I know this is where I need to be right now and I am so excited to spread this restored Gospel so that it can bless the lives af all those who have faith and accept its doctrine.
Happily- Elder Chandler

No comments:

Post a Comment